Trek Madone 5.2 or Colnago CX-1 Evo

Sorry, having asked the Madone 4.9 v 5.2 question, I decided to buy the 5.2: then I saw a Colnago CX-1 Evo which looks like a very good frame which is at least comparable with the Trek but comes with the Di2 gear set. The wheels are also ok for an off the shelf bike (Shimano R80s) and overall it looks like a lot of bike for the money.

The Colnago is advertised as reduced from 4,999 to 3,250 and I have seen it being sold elsewhere (on the internet) for 4k and the frame on its own for 2,400. This looks like a good deal. Only problem is the deal is via the internet and I can't find any local shop that sells them.

Any views on this bike and how it compares to the Trek would be appreciated. Trek dealer suggested the Colnago geometery is more aggresive and so would be less compfortable over longer distances (obviously he would say that!).

Cheers

Stu

1. Be very careful - There were quite a few Colnago counterfeit frames doing the rounds recently, fake Pinarello's out there too on internet/ebay. If fake, frames are nowhere near the same quality, heavier and your guarantee would be worth nothing.
    Colnago and Pinarello distributors only deal via shops that sign up to dealer criteria and that assures you are getting the real thing. Anything that is a lot cheaper than you would expect it to be would raise my suspicions.
    Is the internet site a credible one? I would tend to agree with the dealer comment on the Trek/Colnago, one brand is built to accomodate fat Americans and the other to accomodate posers who don't know any better..... Best thing to do is buy a Look!!!!!!!

2. Hi

Deal is from Wiggle so probably genuine. I will have a look and Look so to speak.

Cheers

Stu

3. Hi, my name is also Stu
    I have the Colnago CX-1 with Di2 and I love it. I disagree with buzz. I have a Look 585 and though it is a great long distance rider, it does not compare with the CX-1 as far as responsiveness and comfort, if you are into high speed riding and climbing. I also disagree that the Colnago is for fat Americans. I'm an American and stand about 5'5" and weigh under 135#, so I don't consider myself fat.
    I have absolutely nothing to say negatively about the Colnago. She's race worthy and used by the Pro's in the Grand Tours. Do your research and you will find the Colnago, for the money, is without peer. Good luck on your choice.

4. Wow, that's a good saving of 1800 on the Colnago at Wiggle, forget the other bikes you were considering; and get yourself a CX-1, it would be my choice!

5. If it's from Wiggle, it's got to be a good deal! I was suspecting some dodgy site! Wonder if it's a 2012 'end of line' you get a lot of 2013 models hitting the shelves now so pressure is on to clear stock.

Let us know what you do, Stu!

ps - Look 585? pah! Girl's bike. 695 is where it's at nowadays!

6. Thanks guys, I am now the proud owner of a CX-1 (or will be when it is delivered).

Thanks for all your help and advice

Stu

7. Doyle33 The popular CX-1 Evo carbon monocoque frameset that has won stages at the Giro d’Italia and the Paris-Nice has a brand-new look for the upcoming season and, while retaining all its mechanical features, new features include internal cable routing for the rear brake. Colnago's pro teams have been blown away by the CX-1 Evo’s quality and ride performance, combining the rigidity needed for maximum power transfer when sprinting or climbing with rock-steady handling.
    At the heart of this winning combination is the CX-1 Evo’s monocoque front triangle, which is moulded in one piece, with Colnago's alfa carbon blend, combined with computer-designed polygonal cross-section tubes entirely designed with the aid of CAD and finite element analyses.

Welcome to the forum Doyle.
    Wow, Science and Technology - Wonderful.

8. I think you'll find that Doyle's post is the standard marketing blurb put out by Colnago and regurgitated on any number of web sites.....
    Fine,... but I think we'd be more interested in what an owner has to say about the bike than what Colnago would have us believe.

9. BeSpoke I think you'll find that Doyle's post is the standard marketing blurb put out by Colnago and regurgitated on any number of web sites.....
    Fine,... but I think we'd be more interested in what an owner has to say about the bike than what Colnago would have us believe.

I'd agree with this : "more interested in what an owner has to say about the bike than what Colnago would have us believe." >
    We ride the bikes; and we're best placed to review them.

10. The new Madone 5 Series is a professional road bike performance, with features ready to race as OCLV, ultra-aerodynamic shape and perfect integration packaged.

milleniumhoteldubai.org

Previous 1 2 Next

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register